Do you feel stuck, pessimistic or directionless? Do you find yourselves caught in engaging in repeating patterns of hurtful behaviours? Do you feel you lack family happiness? Does it feel more like you are “surviving” your lives rather than leading truly thriving lives? For these issues and the ones below, family therapy/counselling can help by empowering families and individuals to shape their choices, beliefs, dreams and visions and creating amazing lives.
I work with families who are troubled with any of the following difficulties:
• Family communication problems
• Difficulties with transitional stages of the family lifecycle (i.e. becoming new parents, children starting school, puberty etc.)
• Problems with separation, divorce and step-family life
• Fostering or adoption care and the needs of ‘looked after’ children
• Issues around balancing parental control and teenage responsibility
• Difficulties with child and adolescent behaviours
• Mental health problems of a family member
• Illness, stress and/or disability in the family
• Anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders
• Domestic violence and/or the effects of trauma
As a qualified family therapist, I focus on treating the family unit as a whole rather than one individual within it. In my family therapy practice, I work with two or more family members including adults, children, teenagers and sometimes members of the wider family or whoever the family considers as important. As a family therapist who combines years of clinical experience and training, I acknowledge the significance of exploring people’s different views, feelings, cultural contexts and life experiences, while keeping in mind the different expectations, resources, needs and wishes of each family member.
The first session is what I would call an initial assessment which would be a chance for you to meet me and vice versa, before agreeing how and if we will work together. Within a safe and non-judgmental space, we could explore some of the hurting matters in your family, so as to help you all enhance your understanding and empathy towards one another, improve communication, expand problem-solving abilities and manage difficulties more effectively. In this way, family members bring about more positive options for the future and live happier, calmer and more balanced lives.
Copyright © Systemic Therapy - Amaryllis Kontostavlaki